Picture of Freedom

March,23 2010
I really liked how Patricia C.McKassack included in her book how a real slave would feel when they were mistreated, because of the color of their skin. It made me feel sad and angry. No one should be treated like that. I also had a connection to this book. When I was at a zoo I saw lots animals put in small cages, their eyes pleading to go home, just like slaves that were brought to America and that just want to go back to their country. They both want to go back were they come from and they both feel like they are treated like property and used for entertainment . This connection helped me really understand the characters feelings, getting into feelings that are hidden in the text. I know when this is a just right book for me when I can read non-stop and eager to get to the next page.

The main character is called Clotee who at the start of the story started off with big secrets like knowing how to read and write. Then soon bigger secrets that can relay on life or death for herself and the people that she loved. She was offered freedom form her master to tell who the person that was helping the slaves at the plantation escape. But she decided not. It would not get her anywhere, besides she could not leave her family. Spicy was one of the the people who changed rapidly in the story. When she was first bought she was afraid. Her old master whipped her everyday leaving big black scars and cuts on her back. When ever someone rose their hand she would cover her hands over her head. Then later she and Hince started an relationship. She became friends with Clotee and was admired by everyone.

The story ended when she drew the words F-R-E-E-D-O-M and she could see a clear picture of herself. I would have liked it if the story had told about her journey with her family to freedom. I think that the author's moral is that we are different in the outside but same in the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment